Two small children playing with a lighter were treated for smoke inhalation Monday evening after starting a fire in a clothes closet.

Firefighters received a call through 911 about a house fire at 140 E. Garden Ave. Monday at 4:56 p.m. Nicaletta Renza, the occupant of the house, her 3-year-old boy and 2-year-old girl were all at home when the fire started but got out of the house safely. "We sent both to the hospital to be checked after the baby started showing signs of smoke inhalation," said Fire Chief Robert W. Adams.Damage to the house was estimated at $5,000.