clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


The decision of whether to grant bail to a man who turned himself over to the FBI in March in the 1975 slaying of a Maryland man has been delayed until Monday.

Daniel Eugene Binick, who has lived in Utah for the past 12 years under the name Jerry LeBaue is being held without bail in connection with the death of a Baltimore bartender 13 years ago. He appeared before Judge Eleanor Van Sciver in 3rd Circuit Court Friday seeking release on bail."I want all the information," Van Sciver said before delaying a decision on bail until 9 a.m. Monday.

Binick denied allegations by county prosecutors that he had turned himself in because the FBI was close to arresting him last August.

"We had already talked about turning myself in two months earlier," Binick said.

"I've been looking over my shoulder for 13 years on this charge. I know why I turned myself in. I'm not going anywhere," Binick told the judge.

Bud Ellett, division chief in the Salt Lake County attorney's office, said his office wants the no-bail ruling upheld, pointing to the fact that Binick assumed a false identity and used a different Social Security number for the past 13 years.

He said a Maryland grand jury had handed up an indictment Thursday and a warrant from the Maryland governor is pending. That warrant should be issued within 30 days, he said.

Prosecutors in Maryland have told him Binick will be charged with capital homicide, Ellett said.

Defense lawyer Kendall Hatch said the fact his client turned himself in substantiates the claim Binick does not intend to go anywhere.

"We were hopeful this morning we would see Mr. Binick free this afternoon," Hatch said following the hearing Friday.

More than 200 Utahns have signed a petition asking Gov. Norm Bangerter to intervene in Binick's extradition. He added that most of the signers have contributed money to a legal defense fund, which will be used to fight Binick's case.

Hatch said the case received a lot of attention in Maryland because the victim was a prison camp escapee during World War II, who had come to the United States and set up a bar. He was then shot in downtown Baltimore.

While living in Utah, Binick has married, been active in the Roman Catholic Church and worked countless volunteer hours as a chef in a center for recovering alcoholics and drug abusers. Hatch describes Binick as a "reputable citizen."