clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Phoebe Mills, with crowd-pleasing performances on the floor exercise and balance beam, pulled away to win the women's all-around title in the United States Gymnastics Championships Saturday night.

Mills, who won the American Cup all-around title earlier this year, scored a 9.85 in the floor exercise and had a 9.8 in the balance beam.Dan Hayden held off rallying Kevin Davis with high scores in still rings and parallel bars to win the men's all-around title earlier Saturday.

Hayden, who lives in Amherst, N.Y., failed to make the 1984 Olympic Team. His 116.85 score leads 18 men into the Olympic trials at Salt Lake City.

The top 20 women advance to the Olympic Trials. Salt Lake City's Melissa "Missy" Marlowe finished 11th with a score of 76.220.

Mills, with a commanding leading going into her final event, had a 9.85 floor exercise to finish with 77.86 total score.

Kelly Garrison-Steves, 21, of the University of Oklahoma, started the day in third place but finished second after a 9.75 on the uneven bars and a 9.9 on the balance beam.

Hope Spivey of Suffolk, Va., started the optionals tied with Mills for first place but she fell off with a 9.4 on uneven bars. Spivey finished third, closing out with a 9.8 vault that left her two one-hundreths point behind Garrison-Steves, who had a 77.32.

Defending champion Kristie Phillips, a teammate of Mills at Bela Karolyi's Gym, provided one of the most thrilling performances in her balance beam segment. But was was scored a 9.8, provoking boos from the crowd.

Chelle Stack, also of the Karolyi Gym, was fourth, followed by Stacy Gunthorpe, Freehold, N.J. was fifth.

Scores at the championships account for 40 per cent of a gymnast's Olympics qualifying score. The remaining 60 per cent will come from the Olympic trials.

The United States will send six men and six women t compete in gymnastics at Seoul, South Korea.

Hayden scored a 9.8 in still rings and 9.7 in the parallel bars, an event in which he had scored a perfect 10 during Thursday's compulsories.

Davis finished with 116.25, .60 behind Hayden. Charles Lakes of Newhall, Calif., was third with 116.00.

"Yes, this does mean I'm the best in the U.S," Hayden said. "It was a battle all the way through and I really worked for it."

Hayden, a former NCAA champion at Arizona State, said he was pleased with his vault and floor exercise.

"Right now, I feel ready to go to the Olympics," he said. "I'm a complete gymnast now."