clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


When brothers Dennis and Dean Rinde arrived from their home in the Sacramento area last weekend and drove the Deseret News-KSL Radio Marathon course for a preview, they were not exactly thrilled.

"I was really scared; that looked really hard," Dennis said later."What have we gotten ourselves into?" Dean wondered.

But not only did the Brothers Rinde survive the course Monday morning, they finished 1-2 in the only marathon they've ever run together.

Dennis, 29, pulled away from the field in the first five miles and cruised to his 14th career marathon victory in 2:22.35. Dean, 24, a former University of Utah cross country runner who planned only to jog the course, finished a strong second in 2:27.05.

Salt Lake's Creighton King, the 1983 Marathon winner, was third in 2:27.52and Salt Lake's Clayton Johnson, Demetrio Cabanillas' training partner, finished fourth in 2:32.08. Gordon Hyde of Orem was fifth in 2:32.47.

Dennis and Dean Rinde once finished 1-2 in a half marathon in Sacramento and had some intentions of running together Monday, except, as Dennis noted, "You lose each other in the darkness out there."

Although he'd hoped to have somebody pace him through the early part of the race, Dennis was surprised when he came up the hill at the 2-mile mark to find another runner ahead of him. They stayed fairly close until 4 1/2 miles, when Rinde made his move and would stay clearly ahead of the pack the rest of the way.

Still, the course was all he'd expected and more. "Coming from low altitude, it really hurt," he said. "If the 11-mile mark hadn't been the highest point, I probably would have started walking."

Rinde found that the altitude affected him even on the downhill sections of the course, but he still finished strong. "I just got in a comfortable groove and kind of eased into it," he said.

Rinde is a former Sacramento State track man who now specializes in road races. He's run a personal best of 2:12 in the Boston Marathon and his last major victory was fairly recent, in February in the Orange Bowl Marathon in Miami, but he finished a disappointing 38th in the U.S. Olympic Trials. He wanted to use Monday's race mainly as a barometer for his training, having gone back to double workouts only in about the last 10 days.

If Dennis was pleased with his victory, his brother exceeded his own expectations by even more. Dean was shooting for a time of about 2:40. When Dennis saw Dean at the turnaround point, he could tell that his brother had changed his jogging plans. "I knew he was doing pretty seriously," Dennis said.

"That's unbelievable," Dean said of his 2:27 finish. "The course beat me up good."

But after two difficult drives - the one from Sacramento to Salt Lake City, and the intimidating first tour of the Deseret News-KSL course - Dennis and Dean Rinde did the same thing to the Marathon field.