Facebook Twitter



Blacks nationwide planned huge celebration marches as black leader Walter Sisulu and several colleagues were flown Friday to jails in their hometowns in preparation for their release.

In Soweto outside Johannesburg, police informed Sisulu's wife, Albertina, that restrictions on her had been lifted and said her husband would be freed this weekend.Sisulu, 77, who has been jailed for 25 years, is one of eight political prisoners whose unconditional release was approved by the government Tuesday. He is the most prominent jailed leader of the African National Congress guerrilla movement after Nelson Mandela.

The release of Mandela, 71, has not been approved.

Seven of the prisoners to be freed are ANC leaders. The other, Jafta Masemola, belongs to a smaller black nationalist guerrilla movement, the Pan Africanist Congress.

Sisulu and at least four of the other prisoners were flown to Johannesburg early Friday from Cape Town, where they had been jailed, airline officials said. They were visited by lawyers later at Diepkloof Prison, near Soweto.

Another of the group, Raymond Mhlaba, was flown from Cape Town to his hometown, Port Elizabeth.

The oldest of the eight, Oscar Mpetha, 80, remained at Cape Town's Groote Schuur Hospital, where he has been for much of his term, but spent part of the day being fitted for a new suit. Mpetha lives near Cape Town.

Anti-apartheid leaders applied to magistrates to hold what they called "victory marches" in 17 cities and towns across the country Saturday to celebrate the releases, which are all expected over the next few days.

The New Nation, a militant anti-apartheid newspaper, said at least 250,000 people were expected to join the marches. Its front page Friday was printed in the green, black and gold colors of the outlawed African National Congress.

Mrs. Sisulu, speaking to reporters at her home, said she would join the planned march in Johannesburg.

She also said she received political advice from Mandela on Tuesday, when she and other activists met with him at his prison quarters near Cape Town.

Mrs. Sisulu, who had been banned from attending meetings and making public statements since February 1988, said police came to her home to tell her of the restrictions being lifted.

"I was wondering how I was going to cope at my house if my husband was not restricted and I'm restricted," she said. "I was surprised."