Facebook Twitter

TOXIC FUMES HOSPITALIZE 11

SHARE TOXIC FUMES HOSPITALIZE 11

Eleven people were taken to area hospitals Monday night after breathing toxic fumes from a mixture of cleaning chemicals.

Six men and five women, all employees of Marie Callender Pies, 1141 E. 3900 South, were treated at St. Mark's and Cottonwood hospitals and later released.Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Bob Pendleton said one of the employees was cleaning the floor in a back room of the restaurant with a cleaning solution of water and ammonia. He then sprinkled a cleanser with a chlorine bleach onto the solution, creating a "very lethal" phosgene gas.

Paramedics and a hazardous materials team evacuated and ventilated the restaurant just after 10 p.m..

Pendleton said cleaning chemicals should never be mixed. "You never know what kind of chemicals or solutions derive from the mixing," he said.

Officials will perform tests to determine if any of the food in the restaurant was contaminated, said Salt Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Steve Alexander.