A state fire marshal's investigation continues, but operators of the Mack's Inn Resort blame arson for a fire that destroyed the lodge over the weekend.
"The family definitely thinks it was arson," said Gloria Bastian, who has operated the landmark resort with her husband, Gary, for several years."The fire marshal told us it was too hot to tell, but (the fire) was not propane-related," she said.
Gloria Bastian said she had heard rumors that a disgruntled employee may have started Sunday's early morning blaze out of anger over the decision to close the resort for the winter. The resort had remained open year-round since 1977, but heating costs made that too expensive.
Fire officials estimated the loss at $450,000.
The Bastians did not carry fire insurance on the building.