Facebook Twitter

MAN ACCUSED IN SLAYING SAYS HE WARNED OFFICIALS

SHARE MAN ACCUSED IN SLAYING SAYS HE WARNED OFFICIALS

A man accused of murdering a Southern Utah State College student claims in a federal suit that he tried to warn authorities that something was going to happen before the killing but they didn't take action.

Lance Conway Wood, 20, is charged along with Michael Anthony Archuleta, 26, in the sexual assault and murder of Gordon Ray Church. The body of Church, 28, was discovered Nov. 23, 1988, at a ranch exit from I-15 near Kanosh.Wood's trial is scheduled for Feb. 19. Archuleta's trial had been set for Oct. 10 but is on hold while the court resolves issues of media coverage. Aspects of the case have been placed under a gag order.

Wood's $2 million U.S. District Court suit claims that in mid-November 1988, he told both his parole officer and the parole officer's boss that "a Mr. Mike Archuleta was coming up from Arizona to take care of me because of my knowledge of a gang he was in . . .

"I told them that (another person) and my life was in danger. We wanted to leave, we were scared on what could happen, they kept telling us to stay, find out things for them, find out if he has a gun."