Seven Murray buildings are among nine Utah nominations being sent to the National Register of Historic Places.
The nominations were made recently by the Utah Historic and Cultural Sites Review Committee.The seven buildings nominated are the Hyrum Bennion and Sons feed and flour mill (1908); the Maxfield feed and coal mill (1938); Bonnyview School (the only remaining public building from Murray's first decade of incorporation); the Murray LDS First Ward (1907); the Murray Baptist Church (1926); the Murray Clinic Hospital (1928); and the Murray Theater (1938).
The Murray nominations provide a snapshot from two of the city's five major historic periods, industrial control and industrial decline.
The city's history began with the period of colonization in 1849. In 1870 the Utah Southern Railroad completed a spur into the South Cottonwood area, which later became Murray. The second period, which focused on industrialization, began with the completion of the Woodhull Smelter in 1870 and ended with Murray's incorporation in 1902.
Industrial control, the third period, continued until the depression of the 1930s when the city plunged into its fourth era - the decline of city industries. That period lasted until 1950, except for a brief industrial revival that followed World War II.
Since 1950, a fifth period has started in which Murray has reestablished its focus on the community, completing a cycle begun by the early settlers in 1849.
The Bennion mill, 118 W. 4800 South, and the Maxfield mill, 100 W. 4800 South, represented the continuation of agri-industry both during Murray's industrial period and the return to agri-industry as corporate industry declined. The Bonnyview School, 300 W. 4963 South, is the only remaining public structure built during the first decade of Murray's incorporation.
The Murray First Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 184 E. Vine Street, and the Murray Baptist Church, 4886 S. Poplar, are representative of the importance of various religions to community life. The Murray Clinic Hospital, 120 E. 4800 South, and the Murray Theater, 4959 S. State, reflect the Art Deco style that influenced city architecture just before and just after the depression era.
The other buildings nominated are the Alpine Meetinghouse, built between 1857 and 1863, and the Peteetneet School in Payson, built in 1901.
The Alpine meetinghouse, 50 N. Main, is a rare surviving example of Mormon religious architecture from the first phase of Western settlement. A rectangular stone building, it served as a meetinghouse until a larger church was completed in 1870. It was used as the town's schoolhouse until the turn of the century, and from 1872 to 1936 it saw service as the City Hall.
The Peteetneet School, 500 E. Utah Ave., is one of the best preserved of Utah's first public schools.