Facebook Twitter

HOT ASHES BLAMED IN $25,000 BOUNTIFUL FIRE

SHARE HOT ASHES BLAMED IN $25,000 BOUNTIFUL FIRE

A fire that apparently started in hot ashes cleaned from a wood stove caused an estimated $25,000 damage to a Bountiful home Thursday afternoon, according to the Bountiful Fire Department.

The fire department said the fire was reported about 1:30 p.m. in the basement of the Theodore B. Bernard home, 110 S. 650 East. The fire damaged a basement hallway and family room, according to firemen, and smoke extensively damaged the upstairs.Ashes cleaned out of a stove apparently were put in a bag and ignited after the family left the house, firemen reported, spreading to nearby papers and other flammable material.

The basement was burning and the house was filled with smoke when the family returned a couple hours later, according to the department. No injuries were reported and firemen had the flames out within 20 minutes of the the alarm.