Facebook Twitter


- Rebecca Nielsen's fast-food art is making its rounds. Her larger-than-life images can be seen at the Bountiful/Davis Art Center.

Neilsen says she has been exploring the idea of consumer realism, looking at ways in which society buys and consumes products in large doses. She records her ideas by using watercolors, acrylics, mixed media and printmaking techniques. Her show continues in the center's Anna Spiess Gallery through March 11.- Two Salt Lake businessmen - Terrance, J. Quinn, president of Medirec, and George S. Nicolatus, senior vice-president of the corporate real estate division of First Security Service Company - have joined the Utah Museum of Fine Arts' (UMFA) Special Exhibitions Council.

The council now consists of 19 Salt Lake area professionals and business owners. Recently elected chairman and vice chairman were James R. Holbrook and Malcolm F. Justice Jr.

The council's goal is to develop important exhibits and raise Utah's awareness of the museum. It is in the process of raising $15,000 to fund the forthcoming exhibit "Masterpieces of the American West: Selections from the Anshutz Collection." This exhibit will be displayed at UMFA from Oct. 7 through Dec. 16, 1990.

- The second annual conference on art education was held Feb. 2-4 at the Los Angeles Hilton and Towers. The message: Art is essential.

John Brademas, president of New York University, said, "The arts are not something to be thrown a bone after everything else is taken care of, because everything else will never be taken care of."

More than 800 art educators from across the country were in attendance. General session speakers addressed the enhanced role that art can have in children's education. Attendees learned how teachers, artists and parents across the country have significantly changed the way art is taught in their local schools.

The conference was sponsored by the Getty Center for Education in the Arts, a program of the J. Paul Getty Trust.

- The Utah Arts Council invites schools and community organizations to sponsor artists in residence. And, as added incentive, UAC will match the funds. Applications for these matching funds are being accepted through March 20. To receive more information, call 533-5895 or write to the Artists in Education Program, UAC, 617 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84102.

Many schools are already involved in the program. For the past three weeks, visual artist Allen Bishop has provided a learning experience for students at Rosslyn Heights Elementary School. He was selected by the school's administrators from a bank of artists compiled by the UAC.

Bishop, who earned his BFA degree at the University of Utah and his MFA from the University of Denver, was a 1988 recipient of a UAC visual artist fellowship.

- The 20th Annual Park City Art Festival is still months away (Aug. 5 and 6, 1989). But to make the event successful, festival personnel start making plans far in advance. Applications are already available for visual artists who are interested in participating in the festival. Each artist must submit five 35mm slides plus a non-refundable application fee of $15. Application deadline is April 3, 1989. Artists who would like an application should send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: the Park City Art Festival Office, Kimball Art Center, P.O. Box 1478, Park City, UT 84060. For more information, call Dale Snyder at 649-8882.

- The permanent art collection at Southern Utah State College will be more visible in the future, says Valarie Kidrick, new curator of the Braithwaite Fine Arts Gallery in Cedar City.

Kidrick says that there are currently about 500 pieces in that collection, with about 30 percent located in various buildings on campus and the remaining 70 percent in storage.

Although she says, "We have a little of about everything," she is anxious to double the number of works in the collection. She especially wants to focus on work by well-known Utah artists.

At the same time, she'll be looking for more places to display this art. "If people feel that their contributed works will be seen, they will be more willing to make them available to us," she said.

- Lectures, Art Classes, Workshops, etc.

Feb. 12, 3 p.m., Main Gallery, Salt Lake Acting Company (328-4201) - Gallery talk by Paul H. Davis. An exhibit of his recent work is on display at the center.

Feb. 12, 3 p.m., UMFA, U. of U. - African dances by Veronica Agbor, native of Nigeria. She will display traditional Nigerian costumes and fabrics.

Feb. 13, 8 p.m., FAV 150, Fine Arts Bldg., Utah State University, Logan (750-1395) - Visiting Artists Lecture Series will feature printmaker Warrington Colescott.

Feb. 18-19, Arches National Park - Winter Light Photography workshop taught by Tom Till. Contact Canyonlands Field Institute, P.O. Box 68, Moab, UT 84532, (259-7750).