Facebook Twitter



A Layton police officer was hit by a truck, whose driver then led police on a high-speed chase that reached speeds of 100 mph before ending in a collision with a police car in Farmington Wednesday afternoon.

Members of the Davis Metro Narcotics Strike Force were trying to arrest a man about 3:15 p.m. Wednesday at 1400 E. Cherry Lane when he fled the scene, Layton Police Sgt. Ross LeFevre said.While fleeing, the truck struck and knocked to the ground an undercover narcotics officer, LeFevre said. The agent's gun went off when he was knocked down, LeFevre said, but "it hasn't been determined yet" whether he had drawn his gun and dropped it or if it was still in the holster. No one was injured by the gunshot.

LeFevre said when the agent went down and his gun went off, the other officers at the scene thought the agent had been shot, heightening the tensions in the ensuing pursuit.

The agent was treated and released at Humana Hospital Davis North for a minor shoulder injury, police said.

Police units from Layton and Farmington were joined by units from the Utah Highway Patrol and Davis County Sheriff's Office in the chase, which went south from Layton on U.S. 89 and onto I-15 before a Lay-ton police car ran the pickup off the road, colliding with it.

The driver of the pickup and a passenger were apprehended at the scene.

Members of the strike force and uniformed members of the Layton Police Department at the scene of the pursuit's termination seized a Deseret News reporter's camera and film and tried to confiscate a video camera and tape from a KUTV-TV cameraman.

Strike force members said the camera and film were seized as evidence, and the photographer was repeatedly threatened with arrest when he attempted to retrieve it. The items were returned two hours later through the Davis County attorney's office.

One strike force member and two Layton policeman threatened to "rough up" the television cameraman if he didn't leave the scene, at one point bending his arm up behind his back and forcing him to his knees, the photographer reported.

The officers tried to block him from shooting, the cameraman said, and at one point pulled the battery pack off the back of his camera in an attempt to disable it.

A strike force spokesman said a search of a home following the chase turned up a half pound of cocaine, several kilos of marijuana, and hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Robert A. Dyer, 27, 1228 N. 250 West, Sunset, was booked into the Davis County Jail Wednesday evening on charges of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, aggravated assault and evading a police officer.