A chimney fire that burned into the attic of the house at 7730 Strawberry Loop (2830 West) Thursday night was extinguished before it spread into the living area but still caused about $20,000 damage.

West Jordan fire Capt. Gary Whatcott said a fire was burning in the fireplace when the owners of the house smelled smoke about 7 p.m. and went outside to see what was wrong. They saw flames and reported the fire from a neighbor's house.Strong winds hindered firefighters, Whatcott said, "But there was no structural damage to the lower part of the building or to contents, other than water damage."