clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Defense attorneys began calling witnesses Wednesday as the state rested its first-degree murder case against David Franklin Young.

The attorneys will try to show that Young, who suffers mental disorders, was "out of control" when he beat and stabbed Ember Kimberly Mars on Aug. 19, 1987.On Tuesday, Salt Lake County sheriff's detective Dick Judd testified that Young, 28, confessed to raping and killing Mars, 27, in her home, 6262 Dewdrops Drive.

Judd said Young described in detail how he held Mars against her will in her home the morning of the homicide.

As Mars and Young waited for her bank to open, so Young could steal her money, Young decided to rape her, according to Judd.

She screamed for help.

"So he threw her down hard and he grabbed a vase and hit her hard nine or 10 times. He stated she was bleeding quite heavily."

Young then tried to have sex with her again, and she yelled, Judd said. The defendant then went to a closet and retrieved an iron, with which he was going to bind her.

Mars continued to yell for help.

"He hit her with the clothes iron six to eight times in the left temple area of her head. He said he thought he broke her collarbone."

Judd testified that Young then stabbed Mars more than a dozen times and suffocated her.

Chief Medical Examiner Todd Grey told the court that Mars' death was a "very brutal" homicide.

"There was a lot of passion involved in this killing," said Grey, who testified that Mars suffered 14 stab wounds, three of which punctured her lungs and liver, injuries that could have caused her death.

She also could have died from a large, blunt-force injury to the left side of her head, he said.

Grey said that Mars suffered wounds to the back of her hands, indicating she had tried to fend off her attacker.

Under cross-examination by legal defender Nancy Bergeson, Grey said there was no evidence to indicate the homicide was planned.

"This is not the kind of cold-blooded, calculated killing, like an execution-style murder," Grey said.

He said it was difficult to conclude, however, whether the homicide occurred simply as a result of the attacker's rage or whether the attacker seemed to get "some enjoyment out of it."

Young, of Bridgeport, Ill., was arrested by Illinois police a week after the homicide. He was in Mars' pickup truck and had her credit card and purse in his possession, according to testimony.