In honor of Safe Boating Week (June 4-10), the following tips are offered from the National Safe Boating Council:
- Always be aware of weather forecasts before going out on the water. Strong winds can turn boats over.- Have approved life-jackets on board for each person and wear them. Last year more than 1,000 drowned in accidents, most near the shore or a boat. Even a good swimmer should wear a life jacket.
- Make sure you don't overload your boat beyond specs.
- Don't drink. Alcohol contributed to more than half of last year's boating fatalities.
- Be aware of hypothermia in colder water.
- For a free boating course, call the Safe Boating Council at 1-800-336-BOAT.