It appears that the city will get a new court building after all now that a bid has been accepted by government officials.

The Boyer Co. and Jacobsen Co. were awarded the $4.9 million contract for the facility last week and will begin construction by Oct. 1, said Mayor Joe Jenkins."We feel good about the Boyer/Jacobsen bid," he said. "We think they are a good team and work well together. They are ready to get on the project immediately."

The new home of the 4th District and 4th Circuit courts will be located on the Ashton Block at First North and First West.

The old buildings on the block (vacant for several years) will be razed during the first or second week in August, Jenkins said. The project will be in the design stage until Oct. 1 when excavation begins. Completion date is scheduled for September 1990.

The combined courts facility - approximately 55,000 square feet - will be a five-story building with one floor for mechanical operations. It will contain three circuit courtrooms, five or six district courtrooms and one small mediation court.

"One thing we feel good about is that by putting the courts together we can share a lot of rooms," he said. "The efficiency of the building is about 70 percent. The national average is about 60 percent. We think we will get a very efficient building per square foot for the dollars."

Both Boyer and Jacobsen are from Salt Lake City, but they have made a commitment to use as many local contractors as possible, Jenkins said. The Boyer Co. is the project developer while Jacobsen Co. is the contractor. A local architect will also participate in the project.

The final bid was selected from six different company proposals. It was narrowed to three groups, Boyer/Jacobsen, Mike Lee and Layton Construction, and Eric Sandstrom and Tolboe Construction.

"All three made excellent presentations," Jenkins said. "This was one of the closest bids that I've ever been involved in."

The Boyer/Jacobsen bid wasn't the lowest or the highest bid of the three, but was chosen for its package.

"We looked at all the amenities provided (such as the proposed timetable) and what we felt they could put into it," said Ron Madsen, Provo redevelopment director. "The bids were so close that that's what the decision was based on."

The Municipal Building Authority of Provo City will advertise bids for $6 million in bonds Aug. 8. "That will be the final link in going ahead and getting started," Jenkins said.

"It will be a nice addition to the downtown area and will help redevelopment activities. This is another step in the revitalization of the downtown area and we are excited to get it started."