Facebook Twitter

8 AT GENEVA ARE INJURED IN BLAST AT REHEAT FACILITY

SHARE 8 AT GENEVA ARE INJURED IN BLAST AT REHEAT FACILITY

Up to eight workers were injured, one seriously burned, in an explosion Friday at slab reheat facilities at Geneva Steel of Utah.

The explosion occurred at about 8:30 a.m. as the facility was undergoing routine maintenance.The injured employees were transported to two Utah County Medical facilities beginning at 9:20 a.m.

Two Geneva employees were treated for smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, according to Clark Caras, the hospital's director of public relations.

Caras said six injured employees - two from Stanco Inc., an industrial vacuum company, and four from Geneva - were being treated at Orem Community Hospital, also for smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation.

One patient, identified as Alan Wheeler, 26, Provo, was treated for second-degree burns on his arms, hands and chest.

Two men also were being X-rayed for possible injuries from being thrown back, Caras said.

The identities of the other injured employees were not released Friday morning, nor were their conditions.

"None are in life-threatening situations," Caras said, "but no conditions are listed because they are in various degrees of treatment in the hospitals' emergency rooms."

Stanco officials declined comment on the accident, referring all calls to Geneva.