Facebook Twitter

EXXON PLANS SCALED-DOWN CLEANUP EFFORT

SHARE EXXON PLANS SCALED-DOWN CLEANUP EFFORT

Exxon unveiled plans Friday for a second season of oil spill cleanup, employing up to 1,100 workers to attack oil left on Alaska shores from last year's Exxon Valdez spill, but the governor said the plan doesn't go far enough.

The renewed cleanup begins next week, but it will take until June 1 to reach its peak, which will bring Exxon's work force to less than 10 percent of last summer's levels when Exxon mounted a $2 billion cleanup.Coast Guard Rear Adm. David Ciancaglini, federal on-scene spill coordinator, buried himself in Exxon's 40-page plan as soon as he received it Friday and said he invited reaction from federal, state and local government agencies before judging its adequacy.

"The review process will not delay the start of cleanup operations," he said.

Exxon said it will put eight teams into the field, employing up to 1,100 people.