Fire investigators say food left on the stove was responsible for a Thursday blaze that caused $20,000 damage to a home.

When firefighters arrived at 4581 W. 5540 South about 11:15 a.m. Thursday, there was "an extremely large amount of smoke" pouring from the house and several neighbors spraying water through the windows, said Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Jack Orgill."Neighbors spotted the smoke and called the fire department and then did whatever they could," he said.

No one was home at the time and no injuries were reported, except for a dog in the house that succumbed to the blaze.

Investigators estimated damage at $15,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents.