Facebook Twitter

GIRL, 12, LOCKS DOOR, CURBS LOSS FROM FIRE

SHARE GIRL, 12, LOCKS DOOR, CURBS LOSS FROM FIRE

A 12-year-old girl who left her burning house and inadvertently shut and locked the door behind her probably prevented further damage by doing that.

According to a Salt Lake County Sheriff's incident report, the fire at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at 870 E. Onyx Lane caused approximately $20,000 in damage.The report said an investigator commented that when the girl closed the doors, she cut off the oxygen supply to the fire and prevented it from doing more damage than it did.

The report said the girl heated oil on the stove for scones and then went outside for about five minutes to look for her younger brother.

When she returned, the kitchen was filled with smoke and the stove area was on fire. She crawled back out of the house, locking the door behind her. Firefighters broke windows to get at the flames and quickly brought the fire under control. No one was injured.