clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Heavy rain showers drenched many areas of Utah Sunday night and early Monday, causing some minor street flooding, particularly in Davis County .

In parched southeastern Utah, residents must have felt like dancing in the streets as more than an inch - 1.13 inches to be exact - of rain fell overnight in the Blanding area and 0.52 of an inch in Monticello."It's like gold from heaven," exclaimed William J. Alder, meteorologist in charge of the Salt Lake office of the National Weather Service, as he rattled off precipitation numbers from the storm, which began Saturday evening in southwestern Utah.

Minor street flooding was reported in some Davis County communities, but no early morning flooding reports were received by the Utah County sheriff's office or the Provo and Orem police departments.

The south Provo area received 1.51 inches from the storm and the Brigham Young University and Provo area, 1.07, with 0.49 of the latter amount falling between 6 and 6:15 a.m.

In Cache County, Hyrum measured even more - 1.56. Fillmore, Meadow and Holden, all Millard County, reported 1.50 inches, 1.13, and Holden, 1.02 inches respectively; Springville, 1.40; Manti, 1.15; Manti, 1.15; Huntsville, Weber County, 0.90; North Logan, 1.01; Providence, Cache County, 1 inch; west Orem, 0.66; Orem, 0.41; and Payson, 0.96, Alder said.

Hail was reported in some sections of Utah County.

No weather-related accidents were reported in Davis County. Clearfield street crews were called out to handle some minor flooding caused by blocked drains on 200 South. The standing water caused some vehicles on the street to stall, but no major traffic problems were reported, police said.

In Kanab, Kane County, the storm

dropped 0.18 of an inch of rain; 0.17 in St. George; 0.43 in Zion National Park; 1.30 in Farmington, Davis County; .28, Sandy; .50, Brighton; .40, Smithfield, Cache County; 0.81, Collinston; 0.60, Garland; and 0.67, Willard, all Box Elder County; 0.40, Mountain Dell Reservoir in Parleys Canyon; 0.23, the Salt Lake International Airport; and 0.26, Holladay.

Farmington measured 1.30 inches, with most of that falling between midnight and 7:15 a.m., and Tooele reported .60.

The storm was the aftermath of a Friday and Saturday hurricane off the Mexican coast, and it became more widespread in Utah Sunday. By evening, the storm had worked itself up to northern Utah and the Wasatch Front, continuing along the front during the night.

Alder said the tropical moisture is abnormal for this time of the year in Utah. A trough or low-pressure system is moving inland and keeping the system active, he said.

The wet weather was expected to decrease by Monday afternoon, although some showers could linger on Tuesday and may increase Wednesday. Showers could fall the rest of the week, and temperatures are expected to be cooler.

High temperatures Monday in northern Utah were expected to be near 70 degrees. The temperature will be in the low 70s Tuesday, near 70 on Wednesday and low 70s Thursday.

"This is a very beneficial storm. We are normally entering the dry time of the year - from about the 15th or 20th of June through about the first week of July. Climatologically, it is one of the drier periods, along with the latter part of September and the early part of October.

"Who knows. This tropical moisture could be the harbinger of a wet summer," Alder said.


(Additional information)

Lightning victim listed critical


A Provo woman was listed in critical condition Monday morning in the intensive care unit of the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center after being struck Saturday by lightning.

According to Provo Police, Clara Janice Gordon, 62, was working on her yard, 2585 N. 650 East, when she was struck in the back of the head at about 3:50 p.m. Paramedics were able to revive Gordon at the scene and transported her to the medical center.

The Associated Press reported that Cal Gordon found his wife and then walked across the street to the home of Rosemary Wilson, a student registered nurse.

Mrs Gordon was not breathing and had no pulse, so Wilson performed CPR. Paramedics arrived and continued administering CPR. The woman regained a pulse but did not regain consciousness, said Lee Upchurch of the Provo Police Department.