clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

S.L. MAN BURNED AS PILOT LIGHT IGNITES FUMES

A Salt Lake man was burned Wednesday when a pilot light ignited fumes from a lacquer primer and started a house on fire.

Two painters were helping remodel the Peter Pearson home, 4175 S. 5400 West, when chemical fumes drifted from a basement bedroom into the furnace pilot light, said West Valley Deputy Fire Chief John Williams."He heard a whooshing sound and turned around and watched the flames roll across the floor," Williams said. "He said he could actually see the flames arc across the floor, and the room lit up."

Ramon Olsen, 22, received second-degree burns on an elbow, hand and wrist and was taken to Pioneer Valley Hospital, where he was treated and later released, the chief said. The other painter and a 13-year-old boy who lived in the house escaped without injury.

Firefighters responded to the house about 12:15 p.m. and discovered a large amount of smoke coming from the basement windows. The blaze was quickly contained to the basement bedroom. Damage was estimated at $5,000.