clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Severe windstorms, heat and lightning combined to play havoc with power lines at the south and east sides of the Salt Lake Valley and ignited another fire on Antelope Island Sunday night.

And the forecast for continued dry, hot weather probably means more problems for firefighters and other emergency crews.An estimated 5,000 to 6,000 acres had burned by 9:30 a.m. Monday on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake.

Pete Hansen, manager of the Salt Lake Interagency Fire Center, quoted Mitch Larsson, Antelope Island State Park superintendent, as saying that most of the fire was burning on the west side of the island and moving north.

Hansen said fire crews, battling the blaze in scorching heat and flames, include personnel from the Utah Division of State Lands and Forestry and the Flamingos, a Utah State Prison firefighting crew.

Two weeks ago, a lightning-caused fire scorched 4,000 acres of June grass at the south end of the 28,022-acre island.

Meanwhile, another lightning-caused fire had burned about a quarter of an acre in the Lone Peak Wilderness by midmorning Monday, said Loyal Clark, public information officer, Uinta National Forest.

A small crew was on its way to the latter fire, and a reconnais-sance flight was scheduled over the area, a forest dispatcher said. Lone Peak is east of the state prison.

The temperature hit 101 degrees Sunday at the Salt Lake International Airport, with even higher temperatures being recorded in several places throughout the state, said Ken Labas, a lead forecaster at the Salt Lake office of the National Weather Service.

It was 107 in St. George; 104, Moab; 105, Zion National Park; 106, Glen Canyon Dam; 106, Bullfrog; 104 at Green River, Emery County; and 99 at Hanksville.

While the even higher temperatures scorched southern Utah, northern Utahns - particularly residents of the southern end of Salt Lake Valley - were blasted by severe microburst winds.

Gusts of 65 mph or more were reported in some areas of Salt Lake County.

The high winds toppled trees and caused a variety of roof and other damage to homes and businesses.

Carla Bateman, 8930 S. 40 East, Sandy, said the high winds blasted dirt and rocks from a vacant field near her home and into her car as she was driving in the area.

The microburst hit between 8 p.m. and 8:05 p.m., then returned about 30 minutes later but was not as severe, Bateman said.

Salt Lake County and municipal fire crews responded to more than a dozen reports of power lines arching and falling onto roadways and into trees. Lightning, along with dust, wind, 100-degree temperatures and humidity were blamed for the electrical problems.

A Utah Power & Light emergency dispatcher said widespread and localized power outages began occurring at about 8 p.m. The two largest affected areas were from 4100 South to 5000 South east of 2800 East and from 7700 South to 8500 South between 500 West and 700 East.

Salt Lake County fire dispatcher Mark Whetsel said, "We had crews out on as many as 15 power lines down at one time. The majority were on the east side of the valley."

None of the fallen power lines caused any serious fires, although a building in Bluffdale, located in southwest Salt Lake County, sustained damage from a burning transformer, Whetsel said.

The UP&L dispatcher said two large circuits lost power at the height of the storm. Repair crews worked through the night to restore power to the affected areas.