clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

NEW MONUMENT PAYS TRIBUTE TO TELEGRAPH STATION, 1859 INN

When going on a road trip, Draper citizen Belva Andrus Cline can pack her two boys into a station wagon, flip on the air conditioner, fiddle around with the radio tuner, stop at several 24-hour gas station/convenience stores to fill up the tank, or bunk at a motel.

Back in 1850, such comforts were not enjoyed by Belva Andrus Cline's great-grandfather, Miles Andrus, as he migrated with other weary travelers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Salt Lake Valley.Wanting to satisfy the needs of travelers, freighters, stagecoach trappers, pony express riders, schoolteachers and other people heading north- or southbound, Miles Andrus assigned his families to build a two-story pioneer inn in 1859. His wives and children followed instructions, creating the "Halfway House," so called because of its location midway between two famous rest stops, "Traveller Rest" at 6400 South and Porter Rockwell's layout near Point of the Mountain.

Alongside the Halfway House was the "Neff Station at Dry Creek," a farm used as a telegraph station by the Deseret Telegraph in 1871.

In modern times, both houses would be located near 10500 S. State St. in Sandy City, but the Halfway House is no longer there since its removal and restoration at Pioneer Trails State Park in 1980. The Neff Station was demolished in 1932.

The structures may be gone; however, the memories and appreciation for such pioneer efforts have not disappeared.

Belva Andrus Cline, along with Andrus and Neff descendants, members of the Temple Quarry Chapter of the Sons of Utah Pioneers and their families, and representatives of Sandy City and the South Towne Mall, attended a dedication of the Halfway House and Neff Station monument, an event sponsored by the SUP, a group of people organized to preserve the pioneer heritage. Funds for the monument was were donated by SUP members.