Facebook Twitter

FIRE BURNS KEARNS HOME

SHARE FIRE BURNS KEARNS HOME

Two children playing with matches and hair spray accidentally started a house fire early Monday that caused $15,000 in damage.

The fire began just before 2 a.m. at the Theresa Valerio home, 4174 W. 5985 South. A 10-year-old boy and a neighbor were apparently lighting hair spray on fire when the bedroom went up in flames, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Prokopis.Valerio, the two boys and another child escaped from the house. Firefighters woke up a 14-year-old girl and helped her escape from a basement window, Prokopis said.

Fire crews confined the fire to a bedroom and a hallway and extinguished the blaze within about 15 minutes. No one was injured in the fire that caused $10,000 structural damage and $5,000 damage to contents.