Marilyn Monroe buffs know her last film - a romantic comedy called "Something's Got to Give" - began shooting in the summer of 1962 but was never completed.
Reportedly Monroe was fired from the picture when she showed up for only 12 of the picture's 32 completed shooting days.Despite numerous documentaries on Monroe, however, the final footage shot of the enigmatic star has remained unseen by the general public - until now.
For the first time, existing footage from the unfinished "Something's Got to Give" has been taken from the vaults of 20th Century Fox and is being assembled for a television special to air on the Fox network (locally, KSTU, Ch. 13) sometime in the fall. (Aug. 4 is the 28th anniversary of Monroe's death.)
According to the July 21 issue of TV Guide, the footage reveals Monroe was not in some kind of drug-induced stupor, as many reports have indicated. On the contrary the many takes of several scenes show her to be a professional, disciplined actress who never missed a cue, according to the magazine.
In fact, the cause of one scene being shot several times was reportedly a dog that would not take his cue. Monroe is said to have performed the scene perfectly in each take.
The TV special will include interviews with those who worked on the film with Monroe and should make for fascinating viewing, especially for movie fans.
But let's hope it doesn't start a trend. Do we really need someone digging around for outtakes from Elvis Presley movies?
- "STAR TREK VI" is getting an opportunity to go where earlier sequels have gone before.
Reports are circulating in industry trade papers that Paramount Pictures has apparently forgotten about the disappointing box-office returns of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier."
Plans are said to be in place for another "Star Trek" adventure in 1991, with its release date already set for Sept. 8. That also just happens to mark the 25th anniversary of the debut of the original TV series.
If that doesn't bring Trekkies - oops, Trekkers - out, nothing will, Paramount executives reason.
Reportedly, there are three scripts to choose from and current plans call for all cast members to be back on board the Starship Enterprise. No director has been named, so whether William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy will get another go at it is unknown.
Shatner directed last year's "Part V," generally considered to be the weakest of the film series. Nimoy helmed "Part III" and the most profitable of the series, "Part IV." (The first film was directed by Robert Wise, the second by Nicholas Meyer.)
- ANDREW DICE CLAY IS getting the cold shoulder from 20th Century Fox, the studio that financed his first starring film, "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane," and which signed him to a three-film contract.
"Ford Fairlane" managed a major jump-start at the box office when it opened two weeks ago, but last week showed signs of fading quickly.
The second of his three-flick deal with Fox, "The Andrew Dice Clay Concert Movie," which was scheduled for August release, has been dumped and may go straight to video.
Anonymous studio sources quoted in industry trade papers say the concert film is a likely candidate for an X rating, due to some of Clay's more offensive material, and Fox doesn't want to hassle with the ratings board.
But that brings two thoughts to mind.
First, it may seem odd that a concert movie, with Clay strutting on stage and doing standup comedy - however raunchy - could warrant an X rating. But it's not unprecedented. Paramount's Eddie Murphy
standup film "Raw" received an X and had to be edited down to an R before release.
Secondly, like Murphy's film, Clay's could probably easily be cut to an R even if it did get an initial X rating. So what's the big deal? It seems more likely that Fox would not release the picture because it is perceived to be a box office loser.
Personally, I'd be just as happy to see the Clay concert film go straight to video. Then I won't have to review it.
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Bonnie Bedelia, co-star of "Presumed Innocent" and "Die Hard 2," talking about the latter film:
"I look at a movie like this, and I don't say this in a negative tone, but it's like a cartoon!"
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK II: Charlie Sheen, star of "Navy SEALs":
"I've been catching some flak from the Navy that (my character) wouldn't last a day in (the SEALs), and I'm sure that's true, but if film directly imitated life, then nobody would go to the movies!"
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK III: Bruce Willis, star of "Die Hard 2":
"I never wanted to be a celebrity. I wanted to be an actor. And I still make that distinction between an actor and a celebrity that is glib and talks about their personal life with no problem at all. I never got into this business because I wanted to share my personal life with anyone."