Facebook Twitter



The Yugoslav military bombarded remaining Croat strongholds in eastern Croatia on Saturday and tightened their blockade of the port of Dubrovnik, where war-weary residents searched for escape routes.

The Yugoslav army commander, Col. Gen. Pavle Strugar, demanded that Croatian forces in the city lay down arms and that fighters who came to Dubrovnik after Jan. 1 leave under a guarantee of safe passage.If the Croats agree, the army would not enter the city and would end its blockade and restore electricity and water, Strugar said in a letter delivered to Croatian authorities. He said he expected an answer by Sunday evening.

But Col. Imre Agotic of the Croatian National Guard immediately rejected what he labeled as "an ultimatum unacceptable to Croats."

Meanwhile, a Yugoslav navy commander said the blockade of Dubrovnik had been tightened, and that only ships carrying food and medicine or evacuating women, children and the sick would be allowed in, the Tanjug news agency reported.

The commander, Rear Adm. Miodrag Jokic, spoke to reporters in Dubac, 2 miles south of the heart of Dubrovnik.

Meanwhile, in the self-proclaimed autonomous Serb region of Krajina, in Croatia's Dalmatian hinterland, authorities ordered what they said was a general callup for the ongoing civil war.

The fiercest fighting in Croatia was reported Saturday near Podravska Slatina, 100 miles west of Zagreb near the Hungarian border, Tanjug said.

In neighboring Slovenia, more than 2,000 people waved the republic's flags and released a flock of white doves as the last Yugoslav soldiers departed. The republic's president said, "Slovenia is now free."

The events contrasted the different fortunes of the two republics since declaring independence.

Slovenia has moved close to full independence since reaching a European Community-brokered truce with federal officials in July. But Croatia has been locked in a bitter civil war against the federal military and ethnic Serb rebels opposed to secession.