Six Utah buildings will be nominated for inclusion on the National Historic Register.
The Utah Board of State History approved the nominations - which include three buildings in Brigham City, two in Hurricane and one in Salt Lake City - during its recent meeting.Salt Lake City
- The Harris Apartments (currently called Parkview Apartments), 836 S. 500 East.
The Harris Apartment building, built between 1929 and 1930, is one of more than 180 "urban apartment" buildings constructed in Salt Lake City during the first three decades of this century. More than 60 percent of these apartments are either listed or eligible for listing on the National Historic Register.
- Elberta Theater (now called the Capitol Theater), 53 S. Main.
- C.W. Knudson Building, 57 S. Main.
- Hotel Brigham, 13 and 17 W. Forrest Street.
The Elberta Theater was built in 1917 and represents the Prairie School Design architecture of the time. The Knudson building, constructed in 1892, is considered an example of Mormon architecture of the time. The Hotel Brigham was constructed in 1914 and is considered a good example of early-modern architecture.
All three buildings are located in Brigham City's historic downtown and are part of a continued effort to preserve many of the old buildings in the area.
- Old city hall/library building, 35 W. State Street.
- Bradshaw house/hotel, 85 S. Main.
The Hurricane city hall building was constructed over a three-year period from 1938 to 1940. The one-story sandstone is an example of New Deal Era public works projects in Utah. It was constructed as a Works Progress Administration project.
The Bradshaw house was completed in 1908 and features the Victorian Eclectic architectural style. It was the first permanent house built in the town and was used as the first school, a place for Sunday school and other public gatherings. It also became the town's first boarding house and hotel.