The warring factions in Cambodia's 12-year-old civil war have formally agreed to a new truce and pledged to stop receiving foreign arms shipments, resistance leader Prince Norodom Sihanouk said Monday.
The cease-fire accord was announced Sunday after meetings between the Vietnamese-backed government and leaders of the three rebel groups. But previous truces have fallen apart, and the new pact left many issues unresolved, including how to halt the combat and disarm fighters."The declaration is one thing, the implementation is another," said Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Sihanouk's son and commander of his forces.
The talks at this beach resort near Bangkok are being conducted by the Supreme National Council, which is made up of officials from the Phnom Penh government and each of the rebel groups.
The council seeks to implement a U.N. Security Council peace plan drafted late last year, but talks have been mired by bickering over the U.N.'s role and other issues.