At 7:30 Friday morning, Vickie Singer slipped out of her prison garb, put on her own clothes and walked out the front gates of the federal prison in Pleasanton, Calif., and into the arms of her waiting family.

Singer concluded a 21/2-year sentence for her role in the bombing in 1988 of an LDS stake center in Marion, Summit County, and the subsequent standoff with police at the family farm a few miles away. She was incarcerated Oct. 10, 1988.Several of Singer's children drove to Pleasanton to greet her at the gates Friday morning. The family will take several days driving back to Utah and expects to return to the family farm early next week, said Steve Kuhnhausen, lawyer and family friend.

"The family is very excited and anxious to have her home," he said.

Singer was a quiet, unexceptional prisoner during her time at the Pleasanton facility. "She was just another person. There was nothing special about her. She came in, did her time and went home like most people do," said Dusty Rhoades, manager of the unit Singer was housed in.

Rhoades said he was aware of the Singer family's notoriety in Utah but saw nothing unusual about the family's matriarch during her stay. Singer's attorney, Kathryn Collard, told reporters in 1989 that Singer was "incredibly homesick" and having a hard time adjusting to prison life.

Singer's prison term made an impact, Kuhnhausen said. "She told me that her experience in the criminal justice system has been a learning experience. She certainly intends to share that experience with her children so they won't have to go through that process in the future."

Singer and Kuhnhausen have been in touch often since last summer when Singer's youngest son, Ben, was arrested for possessing a pipe bomb. Kuhnhausen was Ben Singer's lawyer.

"She wants to get those kids back in line. She's said that in a thousand words over the course of the last several months," Kuhnhausen told the Deseret News in March.

Singer reiterated those intentions in recent conversations, Kuhnhausen said Friday. Her comments to him suggested a gentler approach toward the law.

"I'm not saying she thinks she's been wrong in all her beliefs," Kuhnhausen said. "I'm just saying she understands the consequences when she violates the law. She will make it very clear to her children what the rules are."

Singer was released after serving the mandatory part of her five-year sentence, said Wilson J. Moorer, alternate public information officer at the Pleasanton facility.

She had been convicted of bombing the church in Marion, possessing a bomb, resisting arrest and possessing firearms during the standoff with police.

The Pleasanton facility houses 995 prisoners, 756 of them women.