Facebook Twitter

METAL-GRINDER SPARKS START PROVO HOUSE FIRE

SHARE METAL-GRINDER SPARKS START PROVO HOUSE FIRE

Sparks from a metal grinder started a fire that destroyed a shed and extensively damaged a southwest Provo home Friday afternoon.

Provo fire battalion chief Bob Headman said Marion Raymond Jonas, 2260 W. 600 South, had been grinding metal in a work shed around 3 p.m. Jonas is a woodcarver.The Jonas family left the residence 10 minutes later. At 3:25 p.m., neighbors reported the shed was on fire. A spark from the grinder apparently fell to the floor and ignited sawdust.

Flames spread to lumber stacked outside the shed and then to the Jonases' home.

Headman estimated damage to the home at $30,000. He also estimated the fire burned $30,000 worth of lumber.