Facebook Twitter

HEARING SET TO CERTIFY TEEN ACCUSED OF KILLING LAYTON GIRL

SHARE HEARING SET TO CERTIFY TEEN ACCUSED OF KILLING LAYTON GIRL

A hearing to determine whether a 15-year-old Ogden boy should stand trial as an adult for the Oct. 24 slaying of a 5-year-old girl has been set for Dec. 15.

The teenage defendant appeared Tuesday before 2nd District Juvenile Judge L. Kent Bachman, who told the youth that he would have to undergo psychological evaluations before the certification hearing begins.The boy is charged with capital murder in the killing of Bobbie Jo Hart. The Layton girl was visiting her grandfather in central Ogden when she disappeared on Oct. 23. The following night, her body was found in a garbage can around the corner in the defendant's back yard. She had been molested and she died from strangulation.

Police said the girl was last seen with the defendant about 3:30 p.m., and she was killed before her parents reported her missing about an hour later.

Prosecutors want the defendant to stand trial as an adult on the first-degree felony aggravated murder charge, which carries the death penalty.

Bachman allowed the media to attend the Tuesday morning hearing but told members of the press they could not attend the three-day certification hearing because the juvenile had a right to privacy. However, Bachman said he would allow reporters into his courtroom when he announced his decision on certification.

In an unrelated but similar case, a Roy teenager is scheduled to appear before 2nd District Juvenile Judge Stephen VanDyke on Dec. 16 to determine whether the teen will be certified to stand trial as an adult for the Oct. 13 strangulation death of a Roy girl.

The 15-year-old defendant was taken into custody the same evening that the body of Tara Stark was found in a drainage ditch on the outskirts of Roy. He is charged with first-degree felony murder, and he could be sentenced to serve life in prison if convicted.