A 3-year-old boy set his bunk bed on fire early Thursday morning when he was playing with a cigarette lighter.

The boy woke his mother and told her what he had done at about 5:40 a.m., said Capt. Dan Andrus. Firefighters had the fire at 1136 S Navajo Street under control within minutes after arriving."When you get a call at that time in the morning for a house fire, you get a sick feeling," said acting battalion chief Michael Andrew. "Luckily, we were able to contain the fire before it spread to the hallway."

The fire caused about $7,500 damage, and the family is staying with neighbors until the home can be repaired.

The boy was referred to the Salt Lake City Fire Department's juvenile fire-setter program, which uses specially trained firefighters to teach children about fire without using "scare tactics." Fire officials estimate that over half of all home fires are started by children.