clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


A Provo City employee lost an eye after being struck in the head by a nozzle on a high-pressure water hose Wednesday.

Jerry Miller, 42, and Randy Beardall, 39, employees in the city's water resources department, were using hoses on a jet vacuum truck to clean a lift station at 1377 S. 350 East at 9:30 a.m. A high-pressure water hose the men were using, equipped with a fire hose nozzle, apparently exploded. The nozzle struck Miller on the left side of his head. The hose struck Beardall in the abdomen.Provo paramedics treated both men at the scene and then transported them to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. Beardall was treated at the hospital and released.

Miller's left eye socket was shattered in five places and his eye could not be saved. He underwent reconstructive surgery Wednesday afternoon and is in good condition at the hospital, according to hospital spokesman Anton Garrity.