clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


The Utah State Developmental Center needs individual or group volunteers to help serve multiply handicapped people, said Vicki Gurney, volunteer coordinator.

The center currently provides service to 407 multiply handicapped people, most of whom are profoundly or severely retarded."At times it is difficult to become involved in unknown situations with unknown individuals. However, once you decide to share yourself and your time, it doesn't take long to discover that individuals with handicaps are special people who have the same needs and desires as we do," Gurney said.

Volunteers are needed to assist in transporting wheelchair clients to the campus movie Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 1:30 to 4 p.m.

Group volunteers are needed to make birthday cakes for the center's clients and also to assist in coloring pictures for client communication books.

Volunteers may serve once or may accept a long-term volunteering assignment. Those who are interested in a long-term assignment will be given a one-hour orientation session on their first visit for instructions about wheelchair safety and center regulations and policy.

Other community volunteer opportunities:

- The Food and Shelter Coalition needs small groups to help serve hot meals to homeless individuals.

- The Department of Social Services is seeking Family Advocate volunteers to assist caseworkers with supervision and monitoring of cases. Volunteers will work one-on-one with individual children and families. Clerical volunteers are also needed to answer telephones, take messages and file case records.

For information call 374-8108.