Local government Action
CentervilleAt a recent meeting, the City Council:
- Delayed the presentation of a five-year employee service award to police officer Paul Child, who is out of town.
- Held a public hearing and amended the designation of conditional and permitted uses in the C-1 and C-2 commercial zones to be consistent with the definitions that apply to the C-3 zone.
- Held a public hearing and approved a rezone of 0.85 acres at 1400 N. Main St. from agricultural to residential, requested by property owner Garn Ford.
- Heard the annual report on the city's justice court system from Judge Jerald Jensen.
- Approved an off-site improvement agreement with Hi-Valley Chemical for a proposed facility in the city's industrial park west of I-15.
In its meeting this week, the County Commission:
- Approved sale of two strips of property to adjacent landowners, one in Farmington for $1.135 and one in Centerville for $500.
- Announced a special filing period of May 1-7 for the post of Davis County treasurer, which will be on the November general election ballot. There are two years remaining in the term following the resignation April 15 of former treasurer Michael Porter.
- Approved the furnishing at no fee of one complete registered voter list to each of the seven recognized political parties in the county. The cost of the list is about $200.
In its meeting this week, the City Council:
- Donated $250 to the Clearfield High graduation party.
- Donated $200 to Melinda Andersen toward attending a national student health conference.
- Authorized the publication of a city newsletter twice a year.
- Heard a report from Hill Air Force Base representatives on studies of chemical leakage from a Tooele Army Depot repair shop located on the base. Some city wells have many times the accepted levels of chemical contamination, but the source of the problem remains unclear.
- Received a report from the city Fire Department that 30 of 100 smoke detectors, purchased for free use by senior citizens in the city, have been installed. Any Sunset senior citizens who have not yet received a free detector should contact the city.
- Discussed Earth Day volunteer plans in the city and also the Miss Sunset Pageant.