Four people were treated for smoke inhalation and released from a hospital after a waterbed heater caught fire in a Kearns home at 6182 S. Sierra Grande Drive about 9:30 Monday night.
Mike Latsis, 20, and Scott Rackley, 19, were fighting the fire with a fire extinguisher and a garden hose when firefighters arrived, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Dennis Steadman.Both men and two infants were transported to Holy Cross Jordan Valley Hospital. Andrew Latsis, about 3 months, and Garth Burch, 2 weeks, were both in the home at the time of the fire and were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Steadman said.
"The waterbed was drained and the heater was left plugged in," Steadman said. The wood frame caught fire, but the two men contained it to the bedroom. Rackley's wife and father came home from shopping and noticed smoke coming from the home.