Facebook Twitter

MOTOR HOME IN W.V. GOES UP IN FLAMES

SHARE MOTOR HOME IN W.V. GOES UP IN FLAMES

A 28-foot motor home and all of its contents were destroyed Friday morning when it burst into flames on 4100 South at about 2100 West.

The owner, Bill Carner, said he had just had the vehicle serviced for a fishing trip and was driving westbound on 4100 South at 9:15 a.m. when a passing motorist alerted him to flames under the carriage."In 15 minutes, it was all gone," Carner said.

West Valley Fire Capt. Dean Williams said the fire apparently started underneath the front passenger side of the motor home and spread quickly. Plumes of black smoke from the fire were visible throughout the Salt Lake Valley.

Pointing to the melted, smoldering remains of the vehicle, Williams said, "It was really going when we arrived, and it took a lot of water to put it out."

Police redirected all traffic off 4100 South for about an hour to protect fire hoses that crossed the street. Flames from the burning motor home damaged a nearby fence and scorched trees alongside the road.

Carner said he had just installed a new television set and other new furnishings in the motor home and had stocked it with groceries and fishing gear for a trip.

Rummaging through the burned out hull, he found little worth saving beyond his new cordless electric razor. Still hot from the flames, he turned it on and remarked, "Look at that, it still works. Maybe I should do a commercial."