Ogden police officers G.H. Bowcutt and K. Youngberg pulled into the parking lot at the Ogden Hi Fi Shop shortly after 10 p.m. Police dispatchers had reported "unknown trouble" - an all-too-vague term that leaves an officer guessing as to what will be wrong.

That Monday night call on April 22, 1974, could easily have been a family fight or a burglar alarm gone haywire. But this call would be different than any other.As the police cruiser pulled into the parking lot, a hysterical woman ran toward the officers yelling, "They've been shot! They've been shot. They're downstairs."

Flashlight beams bounced off the walls as the officers descended the stairs. Four bodies lay motionless on the carpeted basement floor, silhouetted against the sights and smells of blood and vomit and death. Another victim was found upstairs.

"When I went in to view the scene, I couldn't believe what I had seen. I couldn't believe it had happened, particularly in Ogden," said Hi Fi prosecutor Robert Newey. "It was very, very grisly. It was so needless."

The ghastly site at 2323 Washington Blvd. would remain riveted to the minds of everyone who witnessed it.

"Once the word got out, it left the community in a state of disbelief, unrest, complete suspicion as to who had done it. Worried. Would they return? Who would they get next?" said Newey, then Weber County attorney and now a 1st District Juvenile Court judge.

That atmosphere of fear spurred the Ogden police to react quickly and with every available resource. Virtually every officer who was not on patrol was called in to assist. Every detective and lab technician responded.

For the next 24 hours, officers worked feverishly, tracking down leads and telephone tips and interviewing witnesses.

The killers, in addition to leaving three people dead and two critically injured, had planned the Hi Fi robbery well. More than $24,000 of the finest stereo equipment in the store had been pilfered. Lesser quality units had been left behind.

"They knew exactly what they were looking for before they went into the store," said DeLoy K. White, the lead detective in the case. "They also knew there would be at least two people in the store and they would have to be killed. They did no more and no less than what they had planned."

White's assessment was based on the organized method in which the crime was carried out. It was not a haphazard crime committed by amateurs who robbed and killed without forethought. Rather, each step was planned and carried out with precision.

With the help of survivor Orren Walker, detectives began their search for two black men. The taller one did most of the talking, Walker said, and the short one with glasses spoke very little. When he did, Walker noted a Caribbean accent.

Walker also described a yellow or cream-colored van parked behind the business.

As word of the killings became public, phones at the command center rang incessantly with tips, most of which went nowhere. One such call led police to an Ogden apartment where a cream-colored van was parked. As a man answered the door, he was greeted by a drawn revolver and six shotguns.

"When he found why we were there, he about died," said White. "He told us, `Mr. White, this is no local black involved in this. You're looking for some out-of-state dudes.' And that turned out to be fact."

Newey spent much of his time at Orren Walker's bedside, relaying information to White and others in the field. But despite the descriptions given by Walker, the investigation into the killings was going nowhere until about 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23.

Two boys, Air Force dependents, were rummaging through a garbage bin at Hill Air Force Base, looking for pop bottles, when they found the wallets of two of the victims, Michelle Ansley and Cortney Naisbitt. The boys immediately told the police.

Ogden detectives described the suspects to HAFB authorities, who supplied the police with names.

Dale S. Pierre, 21, who would later change his name to Pierre Dale Selby, was a short, black man who spoke with a distinct Caribbean accent. He lived in barracks next to the bin. He hung out with another black man named William Andrews, age 19. Both were helicopter mechanics.

As Ogden detectives began sifting through the garbage bin, an airman came out and told police there were two black men inside the barracks who were extremely nervous. Detectives went immediately to question the men.

One was Andrews. The other was Pierre. "I recognized the name," said White of Selby. "I knew he was a suspect in another homicide. But Dale Pierre's name never came up until we were on the base."

With suspects in mind, officers scrambled to find photographs that could be used to seek identification. Selby's mugshot was on file with the Ogden Police Department; a photograph of Andrews was later located.

Military authorities, meanwhile, gave detectives permission to search the suspects' rooms in the barracks. During that search, officers found a list.

"The Hi Fi shop was listed," said Newey. "Inkley's was listed. Other shops to be hit were listed, along with various high-fidelity information on types of electronics equipment."

Officers also found rubber gloves and cellophane record wrappers that bore the name of the Hi Fi Shop. It further confirmed Selby and Andrews as suspects, but it wasn't enough to take to court.

"As they were about to leave, one of the officers pulled up the carpeting," said Newey. "Right in the middle of the carpet was a contract for a storage unit dated the day before the executions. Pierre had gone down and rented a storage unit reasonably close to the Hi Fi Shop."

Both men were arrested, and in Selby's pocket officers found a ring of keys. One of those keys fit a military-type padlock on the door of the storage shed. The owner of the shed identified Selby as the man who rented the unit, ostensibly to store a Corvette.

When officers entered the storage unit on Wednesday morning, April 24, they found stereo equipment stacked high. In addition, they found a bottle of liquid drain cleaner and several personal items belonging to Hi Fi Shop owner Brent Richardson. They also found fingerprints belonging to Pierre and Andrews on the Hi Fi Shop equipment.

But the detective work didn't stop there. "I was interviewing people for two or three weeks after they were arrested," said White. "It was two or three weeks later I arrested Keith Leon Roberts (a third participant in the robbery). I was interviewing people around the crime scene area that identified him as the front door guard."

There were hundreds of loose ends that needed checking out. One was the drain cleaner. A popular movie that spring was Clint Eastwood's "Magnum Force." In that movie, a prostitute is killed by a man who forces her to drink liquid drain cleaner.

White had seen the movie and remembered the scene. While conducting interviews on the Air Force base, White noticed a flier advertising that "Magnum Force" had been shown at the base theater.

View Comments

Several interviews later, detectives located a clerk at the base theater who remembered Pierre and Andrews had watched "Magnum Force" three times in one day. Roberts joined them for two or three screenings.

Other witnesses were interviewed, other leads were tracked down. Witnesses were located who identified a second van at the murder scene - a blue van. Police confiscated a blue van belonging to Andrews and found liquid drain cleaner spilled on the floor mats.

Detectives went to other stereo shops in town, showing them photographs and asking about unusual incidents prior to the Hi Fi killings. Pierre, Andrews and others were positively identified as having been in at least two other stereo stores.

Some information contained in this report was gathered during interviews conducted in 1987.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.