clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

2 STUDENTS BURNED IN AUTO MECHANICS CLASS

Two Hillcrest High School students suffered first and second degree burns as they worked on a car in auto mechanics class Thursday morning.

Faye Mitchell, 17, and Ryan Grandroth, 17, were cleaning a part on an engine with a pressurized cleaner when the can touched the positive terminal on the battery. The connection caused a short, which melted the can the cleaner was in and ignited the contents.Two other students grabbed an extinguisher and put out the fire, but not before Mitchell suffered burns on her neck, face and arms. Grandroth was burned on his hands and arms.

The two were flown by helicopter to the University Hospital burn center. Grandroth was treated and released and Mitchell was in good condition Thursday night.