clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

NINTENDO PLAYER NEARLY GETS ZAPPED

Scott Nicol came close to being blasted to another world in the midst of Nintendo Saturday, but it had nothing to do with a video game.

Nicol was playing Nintendo in the living room of his home, 1798 N. State, about 5:20 p.m. when a bolt of lightning struck a 30-foot cottonwood tree in the yard. The lightning arced to a water meter on the side of the home and traveled through pipes into the living room.The electrical charge started a small fire in the carpet. Nicol, 29, quickly put it out.

Seconds before the bolt hit, electricity filled the air inside the home.

"My hair was standing on end," he said. "It sounded like normal thunder at first and then boom."

Orem firefighters responded to Nicol's home and used foam to put out the fire burning inside the hollow tree.