The following booklets about buying and financing a house are available by sending your name, address, item number and appropriate fee (include $1 service fee if you order any free booklets) to R. Woods, Consumer Information Center 2C, P.O. Box 100, Pueblo, CO 81002.
- "Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages" (item 423Y, 50 cents) lists basic features, advantages, risks and terminology associated with adjustable-rate mortgages. 25 pages.- "A Consumer's Guide to Mortgage Lock-Ins" (item 424Y, 50 cents) explains how you can lock in interest rates and points when applying for a mortgage. 14 pages.
- "A Consumer's Guide to Mortgage Refinancing" (item 425Y, 50 cents) explains what the costs are and how to tell if it's time to refinance your home. 8 pages.
- "Home Buyer's Vocabulary" (item 121Y, $1) defines common words and terms used in the real estate world. Especially useful for the first-time homebuyer. 14 pages.
- "A Home of Your Own" (item 570Y, free) offers helpful advice on choosing and buying a home. Answers your questions about how to buy FHA-insured homes that have been foreclosed on and reverted to HUD ownership. 30 pages.
- "Wise Home Buying" (item 123Y, $1) can help you find the right house for you. It explains when to use a broker, inspection and how to shop for a mortgage. 24 pages.
The following booklets deal with home improvements and safety.
- "Guide to Home Wiring Hazards" (item 431Y, 50 cents) explains how to locate possible dangers lurking in your home's electrical system and appliances. 39 pages.
- "Simple Home Repairs Inside" (item 125Y, $1.50) includes step-by-step instructions with pictures on how to repair or replace doors, faucets, plugs, windows, screens, tiles and more. 24 pages.
- "Stripping Paint from Wood" (item 571Y, free) explains how to remove old finishings, learn what materials you'll need to get started and gives tips on how to use paint remover safely. 12 pages.