A fire Monday at Deseret Industries, 4485 S. Main, likely started from lint buildup in a clothes dryer, fire officials say.

Crews doused a fire on the building's second floor that was confined mainly to two clothes dryers. Flames and smoke prompted several employees on the bottom level to evacuate the building. There were no injuries."What started the clothing, I don't have any idea," said Capt. Keith Hall of the Murray Fire Department. He later said the clothes ignited after the heating unit of one of the dryers probably malfunctioned after lint buildup.

View Comments

Three engine crews and a hazardous materials team responded to the blaze at 7:30 p.m. The fire was doused within minutes with a portable fire extinguisher. Crews stayed on the scene for nearly an hour to ventilate the building and clean up.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.