Facebook Twitter



Clifford Alton Coon was born June 23, 1904, in a mountain kingdom close to a shimmering sea. The name of the kingdom was Coonville, it was nestled at the mouth of Coon Canyon at the base of Coon Peak. Most of the folks in town were his relatives. He was the last of eight children of John Abraham and Charlotte Hirst Coon. He and his brothers loved helping their dad on the family farm. Clifford used to round up and brand the cattle, milk the cows twice a day and thresh the wheat. He helped his mother churn the butter and gather the eggs.

When he was a little boy he went to school in a horse-drawn school wagon. It had straw on the floor to help keep the children's feet warm.When he was 14 his family moved to Salt Lake City, and he and a brother played violin duets in church, and at neighborhood parties and family reunions. He also played his saxophone in the band at Granite High School.

After graduating from Granite High, he got a job at Hercules Powder Company and as soon as he had enough money saved, he went on a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mission to the Southern States.

There, in addition to tracting and preaching the gospel, he played his saxophone. He would attract large numbers of people on street corners as he played hymns, followed by popular songs of the day, as requested by the audience, and then told them of the church.

While in Atlanta, Georgia he met a lady missionary named Miss LaVerna Godwin and he later married her in the Salt Lake LDS Temple, on March 28, 1929: Laverna died in September 1987.

Clifford and LaVerna settled in East Mill Creek and raised two children in a very pretty yellow house. He sometimes cooked yellow mush and Lumpy Dick for them the way the pioneers had cooked it.

He worked as the head painter at the Veteran's Hospital in Salt Lake City and made long-term patients there very happy by painting their rooms in their favorite colors. He was president of the Credit Union at work, a member of the Lions Club and of the Sons of the Utah Pioneers. Always active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he held many positions including that of temple worker, and he and his wife returned to the Southern United States to complete a second mission.

His fame as a wit spread far beyond the Utah State line. He entertained groups of people with his funny stories as far away as Paris, France and as close to home as right next door.

He died July 7, 1993.

Survived by a son, Clifford A. Coon, Jr., Menlo Park, Calif.; and a daughter, Carolyn Coon Dupuis, a son-in-law, Andre' Dupuis, and a granddaughter, Isabelle Dupuis, all from Paris, France.

Graveside services will be held for family and friends on Monday, July 12th, 11 a.m., at the Salt Lake City Cemetery, 200 North "N" Street. A Memorial Service will be held, with time and place to be announced in this paper.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations in Clifford's name to the Primary Children's Hospital, P.O. Box 58249 (84158). Funeral Directors: The Holbrook Funeral Chapel.

T 7/10 N 7/10