Facebook Twitter


Around the world

HAITI: The opening session of Haiti's parliament degenerated into a brawl and the president of the legislature was punched in the face, the latest signs of the political stalemate destroying Haiti. "This country is ungovernable," said Commerce Minister Louis Dejoie II, wiping his brow and shaking his head a few minutes before shouting turned to blows Monday.MIDEAST: Israeli and Palestinians negotiators met again Tuesday in Taba, Egypt, and apparently reached an agreement on two key issues involving Palestinian autonomy that had delayed the Israeli military pullout from the occupied Gaza Strip and Jericho. State-run Israel Radio said the two sides had resolved their differences on Palestinian representation at international border crossings and the size of the town of Jericho that will be included in the area of self-rule.

TUNNEL: People driving cars between Britain and the continent through the channel tunnel will have to pay $420 (280 pounds) for a round trip when the cross-channel link opens this spring. Operators of the service say prices will vary by season between $330 (220 pounds) and $480 (320 pounds).

Across the nation

CENSURED: The Alaska Senate unanimously censured Sen. George Jacko using his position to sexually harass women in violation of the state's legislative ethics law. In November, the legislature's ethics panel found that Jacko sought sexual favors from a 17-year-old House page, asked police to help him enter the motel room of a legislative aide by saying he needed to see her on state business and offered to trade his vote on a bill for a date with another aide.

HANTAVIRUS: A rodent-borne virus that killed at least 28 people in the United States may have struck its first victim east of the Mississippi. Florida epidemiologists said a 33-year-old Dade County man hospitalized with severe breathing problems last fall may have been infected by the deadly hantavirus that has struck mostly in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. Scientists from the state and from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention planned further tests on the man, who recovered after 22 days in the hospital. They also want to test rodents in his neighborhood.