Around the world

ELECTION VIOLENCE: At least seven people were killed and 24 wounded when shooting erupted in the Bangladesh capital, Dhaka, Monday over crucial city election results, doctors and witnesses said. "It's a massacre and bodies are badly mutilated," one doctor said after the shootings. He said several of the wounded were in critical condition. Witnesses said the shootings followed hours of tension in a city district where the ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party's candidate for ward commissioner, Abdul Aziz, lost.JELLYFISH: Thousands of jellyfish again invaded Sydney's northern beaches Monday in Sydney, Australia, stinging swimmers and sending at least nine to hospitals. The jellyfish, known locally as bluebottles for their bluish tinge, have long tentacles that leave a rash when they come into contact with human skin. Lifesavers said the bluebottles stung more than 2,700 people Sunday, nine of whom were hospitalized with allergic reactions.

NO HASTE: South Korean opposition leader Lee Ki-taek says he opposes a hasty move for sanctions against North Korea over the nuclear issue. He fears the move could increase the danger of war on the Korean peninsula. Therefore, he recommends giving North Korean another chance to work out the problem.

Across the nation

DEADLY ROBBERY: Four employees closing up for the night at a Taco Bell restaurant in Clarksville, Tenn., were shot to death during an apparent robbery. The victims, all in their 20s, were killed Sunday at around 2 a.m. as they were finishing their shift, police said. All had been shot repeatedly, one of them seven times, the state medical examiner said Monday. A manager who came to open the fast food restaurant at 7 a.m. called police after noticing the night crew's cars were still in the lot.

RESCUE: The Coast Guard rescued one man Monday and were searching for two others believed lost in the frigid Atlantic 80 miles southeast of Nantucket island. Coast Guard officials received a "Mayday" call at 9:15 a.m., relayed from a fishing vessel that picked up the distress signal. A helicopter sent to the scene spotted one man in the life raft and two others clinging to its side. The crew hoisted one man from the raft, but the other two had apparently lost their grip and drifted away.