Facebook Twitter



A former FBI agent who investigated "Unabomber" incidents in Utah believes another deadly package will explode somewhere soon.

Speaking from a hotel room in New York City, former Special Agent Lou Bertram said the bomber usually works in pairs and that the public should be wary of suspicious packages."I hate to admit it, but it certainly appears to me from my previous experience that there is another (bomb) out there," he said.

Bertram, who retired in 1988, was in New York to film a segment with NBC's "Dateline" about his role in investigating a 1987 "Unabomb" explosion. A computer store employee in Salt Lake City was critically injured in that incident, which also produced the only known artist's sketch of the suspect.

Bertram believes he and other agents actually interviewed the bomber in the FBI's Salt Lake office after the computer store package exploded.

"We had such a great group of investigators that I thought we were going to solve it right then and there," he said. "But we could never pin solid evidence on the guy."

Bertram said the suspect lived in Salt Lake City during the incident and left soon after for California.

"We did put him in the city at the time of the computer bombing and probably had him at BYU when the other one was mailed," he said. "But he could have been at Berkeley then."

Authorities now have the suspect's name "along with probably hundreds of others," Bertram said.

Investigators in 1987 focused on a man who fit the physical description of the bomber described by witnesses in the computer store incident. They interviewed him extensively, learning that he possessed explosives knowledge.

"I think we scared him, and that's why we saw a six-year hiatus."

Now, watching events unfold from the sideline can be frustrating, Bertram said. But he thinks law enforcement has gained the edge.

"I've seen in other cases . . . after so many crimes, law enforcement begins to close in. I think the bomber will be caught after number 15 or 16." (Saturday's bombing was the 15th.)

Meanwhile, officials at both Brigham Young University and the University of Utah have warned employees to be cautious.

A 1982 package bomb mailed from BYU injured a professor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.

U. police responded to a suspicious package near Rice Stadium containing videotapes Monday afternoon but found nothing dangerous.

Chief Wayne Shepherd said, "I guess somebody just laid it there and forgot about it."

BYU spokesman Brent Harker said police have not responded to the campus to investigate any packages.