What? It's Christmas already? What in the world happened to 1994?
Well, wherever it went in such a hurry, it left a slew of movies in its wake...for better or worse.So, in keeping with tradition, here is the annual Deseret News Movie Quiz, in which all questions are derived from films that played in Salt Lake theaters during the past calendar year. The formal quiz begins on page W3.
Here's our yearend movie quiz
In what movie was a scene from this movie shown?
1. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
2. It's a Wonderful Life
3. The Maltese Falcon
5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
6. Plan 9 From Outer Space
8. A Nightmare on Elm Street
10. King Kong
TV OR NOT TV
In what movie was a scene from this television program shown?
1. The Partridge Family
2. Barnaby Jones
3. Sesame Street
4. Rin Tin Tin
6. Queen for a Day
7. Designing Women
9. Hard Copy
10. The Jeffersons
WHO WAS THAT UNMASKED MAN/WOMAN?
In what movies did the following stars make unexpected (and uncredited) appearances?
1. Emma Thompson
2. Roger Daltry
3. Raquel Welch
4. Randy Quaid
5. Harrison Ford
6. Danny Glover
7. Brendan Fraser
8. Mark Harmon
9. Ethan Hawke
10. Whoopi Goldberg
In what two (or more) movies did the following occur?
1. Someone falls from a high-rise building but is rescued before hitting the ground.
2. A female passenger burns a male driver on his neck with a car cigarette lighter.
3. Toward the end of the film, the lead female character is revealed to be a man.
4. John Lithgow plays a snooty Englishman.
5. When he is bitten on his bottom by a snake, the hero asks someone to suck out the venom.
6. With his bare hands, a man rips a beating heart out of someone's chest.
7. The hero jumps up to a helicopter and dangles from its runners.
8. The hero parachutes into a city center, dodging high-rise buildings.
9. The hero scrambles - unsuccessfully - to collect incriminating computer files while his nemesis is deleting them.
10. A vehicle is rigged with a bomb that will detonate if the driver goes too slow.
In what film was this line of dialogue spoken?
1. "Who's your date, Grumpy or Doc?"
2. "You can't go out with musicians until all other men are dead!"
3. "Bloody newspapers - never get anything right, y'know?"
4. "You're just so irritating and likable."
5. "I should have signed with Disney - they never would have let this happen."
6. "Do not attempt to grow a brain!"
7. "The continental plates are in a state of extreme seismic tension throughout this entire igneous, polygamous, Jurassic, hasidic region."
8. "The worm has turned and is packing an Uzi."
9. "In my opinion, Woody Allen is not funny when he's dubbed in Italian."
10. "I'm convinced that those films can push an unstable child over the edge."
What movie used this advertising line?
1. They came. They saw. They changed their minds.
2. The summer's mane attraction!
3. Think Bink!
4. Gump happens.
5. Dumb Happens.
6. Truth needs a soldier.
7. Murder is forever . . . until now.
8. It's not the fall that kills you . . . .
9. How the East was won.
10. It's a day he'll never forget. Until tomorrow.
Here are answers to the movie quiz questions on W3:
1. The Getaway
2. The Ref
3. Clean Slate
4. Natural Born Killers
5. Baby's Day Out
6. Ed Wood
7. The Shawshank Redemption
8. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
9. Interview With a Vampire; Killing Zoe
10. The Scout
TV OR NOT TV
1. My Girl 2; Crooklyn
2. Cops and Robbersons
3. Forrest Gump
6. Corrina, Corrina
7. It Could Happen to You
9. Love Affair
10. A Low Down Dirty Shame
WHO WAS THAT UMASKED MAN/WOMAN?
1. My Father the Hero
2. Lightning Jack
3. Naked Gun 331/3: The Final Insult
4. Major League II
5. Jimmy Hollywood
7. In the Army Now
8. Natural Born Killers
9. White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf; Quiz Show
10. The Little Rascals; Star Trek: Generations
1. "The Hudsucker Proxy" (rescued by an angel); "Faraway, So Close!" (also rescued by an angel); "Timecop" (rescued by Jean-Claude Van Damme); "Drop Zone" (rescued by a hidden parachute)
2. The Chase; Guarding Tess
3. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective; Naked Gun 331/3: The Final Insult
4. A Good Man in Africa; Princess Caraboo
5. Lightning Jack; City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold
6. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein; Dumb & Dumber
7. Clear and Present Danger; The Puppet Masters
8. Terminal Velocity; Drop Zone
9. Clear and Present Danger; Disclosure
10. Speed; Blown Away
2. My Father the Hero
3. Lightning Jack
5. The Flintstones
7. City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold
9. Only You
10. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
1. Wagons East
2. The Lion King
3. Baby's Day Out
4. Forrest Gump
5. Dumb & Dumber
6. Clear and Present Danger
8. Terminal Velocity
9. The Cowboy Way
10. Clean Slate
Here are the answers to the 1994 Movie Quiz photographs on today's Weekend-Extra cover:
1. Stewart: "Gunmen"; Frakes: "Camp Nowhere"; Spiner: "Corrina, Corrina."
2. "The Cowboy Way," "The Crow" and "Airheads." (Hudson also appeared in "Sugar Hill," "No Escape" and "Speechless.")
3. "True Lies" (Jamie Lee Curtis, Arnold Schwarzenegger).
4. A. "Drop Zone"; B. "Timecop."
5. "The Mask"
6. "The Lion King"; "Clear and Present Danger"