THE CRAFT HOUSE CHAPTER of the League of Utah Writers, has scheduled a Christmas buffet for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 7, at the Pioneer Craft House, 3271 S. 500 East. Bring a friend and bring a food item to share. Call 272-0065 for details.
- BOOK ENTHUSIASTS are invited to discuss "what's new" at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 7, at the Anderson-Foothill Library, 1135 S. 2100 East. The latest in books and book news are on the agenda. Phone 524-8278.- DESERET BOOK has slated several events for the holidays. These are among the highlights for this week:
- Stacey Bess, author of "Nobody Don't Love Nobody," the story of Salt Lake City's school for homeless children, will sign copies of her book from 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8, at the Fort Union Deseret Book.
- Lloyd Newell of "The Spoken Word," will be signing from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 9, at the ZCMI Mall store.
- Sharlene Wells Hawkes will be at the University Mall store from noon to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10 to sign "When All Will Believe."
Check with the Deseret Book in your area for other events.
- A.F. CALDIERO, performance poet, and RICHARD FIRMAGE, author of "The Alphabet Abecedarium," will offer readings of their work for the City Art Reading Series at 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8, at the Mount Tabor Lutheran Church, 175 S. 700 East. The artwork of critic Frank McIntire will on display. Phone 277-1510.
- THE MAUD MAY BABCOCK READING ARTS SOCIETY will present "Christmas Humor and Homily," with Shirlee H. Shields and Glen Slight reading from the verse of Phyllis McGinely and Ogden Nash, at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8, at the Art Barn, 54 Finch Lane. Call 262-1794.
- RANELLE WALLACE, popular author of "The Burning Within," will speak in St. George this week. From 7-8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, she will be at the Cox Theater. From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 10 she will be at the R & K Bookstore. Call 1-800-748-4900 (ext. 273) for information about other appearances.
- ELLIPSIS: LITERATURE AND ART is the literary publication for Westminster College. At 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, the staff will celebrate the debut of the fall issue at Nunemaker Place on campus. The public is invited. Call 488-4112 for details.
- LESLIE NORRIS, BYU poet in residence, will read from his work at 11 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 10, at the Bountiful/Davis Art Center as part of the center's 20-year anniversary. Call 292-0367 for details.
- THE MILE HIGH POETRY SOCIETY in Denver is sponsoring at Winterfest poetry competition with $500 in prizes. For information write: Mile High Poetry Society, P.O. Box 21116, Denver CO 80221.
- CHARLTON HESTON will pay big bucks to anyone who can help him name his autobiography. If you have an idea, send it along to the Heston Autobiography Contest, 8730 Sunset Blvd., sixth floor, Los Angeles, CA 90069.