Other "Messiahs" continue in Utah, with the following performances scheduled this week:
- TONIGHT AND TOMORROW, Dec. 4 and 5, in St. George's Dixie Center, Ron Wilcott will lead the Southwest Symphony and Chorale in a presentation of the Handel oratorio. Vocal soloists include sopranos Elizabeth Bralls-ford, Marie Gaisford, Jackie Riddle Jackson and Anna Wood, altos Christi Beers, Chrystine Potter Hyatt and Nancy Weinheimer, tenors Frank Mathis and K.L. Perrins and basses Joseph Allred and Milan Monk.Starting time is 8 p.m., with admission $6 ($5 seniors, $3 children). For information call 628-7003.
- FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, Dec. 9 and 10, at 7 p.m. in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, the Oratorio Society of Utah will offer its 79th annual "Messiah."
Paul Hillier, co-founder of London's Hilliard Ensemble, will conduct the performances. Now based at the University of California at Davis, he also tours regularly with another group he created in 1989, Theatre of Voices.
Soloing this year will be soprano Elizabeth Paniagua, mezzo-soprano Martha Kasten, tenor Joseph Fosselman and baritone Clayne Robison. Tickets are priced from $5 to $10, and are available at the Utah Symphony box office (533-NOTE).
- JOEL ROSENBERG will lead the American West Symphony and Chorus in the last of three performances of the oratorio Friday, Dec. 9, at 7:30 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, South Temple and C streets.
Soloists are soprano Laurel James, alto Andrea Thornock, tenor James Miller and baritone Paul Seager. Tickets, at $5.50 ($3.20 children), are available at the Sandy City Parks & Recreation Office, Dan's Foods or at the door.
- THE SOUTH DAVIS CIVIC CHORALE, Michael Huff conducting, will present two performances of "Messiah" as a gift to the community Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 10-11, at 7:30 p.m. in the Woods Cross High School auditorium.
For the third year admission will be by the suggested donation of nonperishable food and personal grooming items, to be distributed by the Utah Food Bank.
Using the recently published Van Camp edition, the chorus will sing 14 choruses from the oratorio, with orchestra. Vocal soloists will be soprano Patricia Swanson, mezzo-soprano Karen Eide, tenor Hugh Vera and baritone Paul Seager.
Other "Messiahs" this month include:
- MIDVALE TRI-STAKE CHORUS and Orchestra, Midvale East LDS Stake Center (240 E. 7570 South), Dec. 11, 6 p.m. Free.
- MURRAY SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Sing-In, Murray High School, Dec. 11, 7 p.m. Free.
- OGDEN SING-IN, Ogden Tabernacle, Dec. 11, 7:00 p.m. Free.
- SALT LAKE OPERA THEATRE Orchestra and Chorale, St. Thomas More Church, Dec. 16, 7:30 p.m. Free.
- ENSIGN STAKE SING-IN, Ensign LDS Stake Center, Dec. 18, 7:30 p.m. Free.
- LOGAN SING-IN, Logan Tabernacle, Dec. 18, 7:30 p.m. Free.